CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 13, 2008

Reflecting on the Research Project Experience

Our research project is titled 'Handling of unwanted lecture notes in NUS through an implementation of a paper collection service'. I had a positive learning experience doing this project as it helped me to better interact with people of the opposite gender (as my other previous projects in NUS were all with male project mates). People coming from different cultural backgrounds would also add flavour to the project as they offer different view points. I also learnt problem solving and how to retrieve and work with the information I have, and this really helped me to understand more about myself in terms of work capability.

Having clear communication is important as we can be more efficient in working on our individual parts. Clear communication would help to prevent misunderstandings from arising when everyone understands what they have to do.

Healthy interpersonal relationships are important to a group. It was comfortable to work with my group members as we could clique well and I would try to crack jokes when every one gets tired to liven up the atmosphere.

I would say that all the members in my group are team players. We come from different faculties, and when my other group member had midterms, I would volunteer to do more work and they would reciprocate when it was time for my midterms.

In the process of research, it was not smooth sailing for my group. We encountered problems of not being able to find articles about our topic, and the people from CSC were not responsive to our emails and enquiries.

Writing a report is not as simple as just writing down what results you have. You have to interpret the data according to the survey and from there, implement something that would be most welcomed within our limitations. This is no simple task as we will have to consider many factors before coming to a decision.

For a effective oral presentation, it is important to understand the communication process so that the audience can enjoy what you are presenting. Also, it is important to have good writing language to ensure the audience would understand what is written on the slides during presentation. Lastly, oral presentation skills are essential for effective communication.

Usually, presentations might not be as good when the presenters are stuck at questions posted by the audience. We should prepare answers that audience might ask to prevent a communication break down.

5 comments:

MadelineLee said...

Hi Darren,

Surprisingly, we have different perspectives and ideas although we are all students under a common education system. Also, the methods adopted in problem solving were variable among students from different faculty. Like you mentioned, these differences could be due to our differences in cultures and backgrounds. Thus, this learning experience which bonded people from all walks of life truly benefit me by giving me a chance to learn from others and to understand different point of views.

Clear communication essentially helps in getting works done on time and harmoniously. However, interpersonal skills picked up throughout previous experiences also play key roles in enabling us to be accommodating to one another and to be empathetic. Subconsciously, these and other skills learnt from lessons in life have created a win-win situation with people in our project groups and allow us to finish the tasks assigned pleasantly.

Thanks for sharing your jokes with my group :)

Madeline

jiawei said...

hi darren,

I would agree with that healthy interpersonal relationships is important to project work. Jokes are indeed necessary to get the group going when the group is tired. I can see from class activities that you are a fun person and it must be enjoyable to work in your group.

Regarding the preparation for the Q and A session of the class presentation it would be wise to spot questions that the audience might throw at you so as to be able to properly address them. I would even go as far as to prepare slides just for the Q and A session for better illustration.

I hope you continue the hard work!

Joanna said...

Hi Darren,

From what I have gathered from other people’s blog for this particular blogging assignment, your view have largely coincided with many people’s including mine, that overall the project have enabled us to understand our team mates more and through working with them, we have discover our own potential and limits as we have to complement each other. But notwithstanding that fact, each group still faces more or less the same problem in working on this research project. My group also had the problem of crafting good survey questionnaire and thereafter the need to interpret the results to give meaning to it. The result shows number and statistic but they are irrelevant if we cannot give them proper interpretation. This is akin to the case whereby a word is only a set of definitions from the dictionary until you wield the word into a sentence thereby giving it life. This in my opinion would be a very difficult problem throughout the course of the whole research project, the problem of giving a meaningful interpretation of the survey data and results.

mongshi-ES2007S said...

Hi Darren

I was quite surprised to know that it is your first time to be grouped with someone of an opposite gender. I am glad that you have a great time working with the other two girls.

I agree with you that having clear communication is very important within the group because everyone is busy with their work and the chance of meeting up to do the project together is very minimal. Thus everyone must be responsible in their individual part and must constantly update each other with the latest progress.

I shared the same sentiments with you when you mentioned about the importance of having healthy relationships to maintain a comfortable working environment. This is because I feel that this it is beneficial to create a working environment that is comfortable for me to consult my team mates or approach them for help whenever I encountered some problems. I feel that by brainstorming the problems together and helping each other out can not only bring progress to the project, it can also enhance the bonding within each group.

Mongshi

Shao Bin said...

Hi Darren,

I believe that the feeling of working with two ladies in your group is different from working with two males. The way you talked, you present your idea, etc will be different. Nonetheless, you have done a great job by leading a healthy interpersonal relationships with your team members and be the "entertainer" of the group to liven up the stressed atmosphere.

I believe that most of the groups will find it a hard time to formulate the questions and to evaluate the data we acquired from the survey. These are definitely not an easy task to finish by one night and by one person. We must adopt the 7Cs in writing to be able to achieve a better report.

Cheers!