CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Final Reflection


In my first post, I mentioned that developing effective communication skills is important to graduates as it equips them with necessary skills of being a good leader. In retrospect, I have learnt how the improvements in soft skills and hard skills can help in effective communication through this module. From soft skills of the proper ways and channels of communication and having good EQ, to the hard skills of writing reports and doing good presentation slides that would effectively convince people.

With the use of active listening, we could engage every members and discuss ideas in our mind and come up with the best compromised solution. By this way, everyone would feel that they are respected, and this has helped create good rapport between my group mates and me. Also, I believe that good EQ can be cultivated with better understanding amongst people. This can be done by the better understanding of the culture background of others, and how we should interact with them or even details of what a certain gesture would mean to them.

In report writing, we were tasked to research on a problem and to bring solutions to the issue. The writing and analysis of the report was not a easy task, as certain data collected from the survey were not the results we expected. We had to explain results and make changes to our implementation plan to cater to the likings of the respondents. This is a very important skill to pick up as it would be necesary for us if we intend to be in the industry that provides service for people.

Another skill I learnt is to make a convincing presentation. A presentation is not as easy as it seems, it involves more than just presenting facts to the target audience. You need to have a convincing speech to impress the target audience and convince them to pick up the service or product you would like to implement. I particularly liked the part mentioned by Ms Happy Goh about praising others before you tell them there is something wrong with them in a nice way. I think this would open the target audiences' minds to ideas since they would think we understand what they are or have been doing.

ES2007S has showed me how to come up with a high standard oral presentation which would be effective for my future career.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone for reading my blog and commenting for me all this time. Thank you..

I would like to end with a final video reported on the Straits Times. It is about a woman quarrelling with a man. It shows how the woman keep provoking the man and the man handles without exploding..

6 comments:

Jean Tan said...

I believe you have learnt and gained a lot from the project work. No matter is listening to group members’ ideas, building interpersonal relationship, writing good report or presenting, you have done a good job. I know that because I am your group mate.

As what you said, you have learnt to ‘praise others before you tell them there is something wrong with them’. I only get to realize the importance of it after Ms Goh mentioned. And I think it is a good practice so as not to hurt others.

It is really nice knowing you and have the opportunity to work with you. All the best. : )

GuangYi said...

Hi Darren

I am glad you highlighting what Ms Goh taught us about "praising others before you tell them there is something wrong with them in a nice way". I think this is one of the underlying fundamentals in the power of persuasion, and I am certain this is a very useful strategy that we should all adopt when trying to convince people of the ideas that we want to bring forth to them.

On a personal note, it was fun being teamed with you for the mock-up interview lesson. I wish you all the best for your job-hunt next year when you graduate. Hope you find that desired job of yours. I am sure this course has helped prepare you for that.

Cheers
Guang Yi

P.S Just in case you didn't see my reply. I don't think it is childish to want to open a seafood restaurant. :) All the best in that! If it ever materialises, do remember to give me discounts!

Jing Yi said...

Hey Darren,

Time really flies. We have come to an end of ES2007S. Despite the heavy workload, it was a fun class to be in.

I used to be really frank and direct, and not tactful at all. Now, I do realise the significance of praising others before rectifying any of their wrong doings. This is exceptionally important in maintaining a good rapport with your other counterparts.

All the best to your future endeavours!

xinyu said...

Hey darren,

From your blog post, I can see that you have indeed learnt a lot from the module. Like you, I find that I have learnt some very useful skills from the module. Particularly for me, I learnt a lot about the way to make a convincing presentation. This skill will be extremely useful to us in future whenever we try to market a product or sell a product. Hope that these skills can accompany us all the way. All the best!

r. said...

To my brother from a different mother,

with regards your final reflections of this course, I can see that you have learn a lot and I have to agree with you that it is through this course that we understand what a high level of presentation is really like. From here, we could then set higher personal standards and work towards improving them for our future work experiences.

Also, I believe that you would also agree with me when I say that it is through this course that we have exposed ourselves to scenarios that resemble office work such as taking minutes, working in a team and our oral presentation etc. Hence through these exposure, we have a better understanding of what it will be like in the future and will be better prepared.

Well, I sincerely do wish you all the best in your future endeavors and hope these skills will help you all the way.

Anyway, thanks for your touching comment on my final post with a very personal touch. Well it's because I have friends like you that makes everyday better=)

RS

mongshi-ES2007S said...

Hi Darren

I have also learnt the useful skill of making persuasive oral presentations after taking ES2007S. Before we went for our first "rehearsal" with Miss Goh, our presentation was so boring and out of point because we will just presenting our report and not convincing our target audience to adopt our recommendations. After the meeting with her, I realised that we need to change our slides and presentation totally in order to be persuasive to the panel of judges. Although it was more work for us, I felt that the changes were necessary and I have learnt that the oral presentation is not about just presenting what we have done, we have to be clear who is our target audience and what is the motive of our presentation. For our case, it was to convince MOM to adopt our recommendations. So, it would be disastrous if we just go ahead with our initial presentation which is just regurgitate the report we have written.

Mongshi